Wednesday 4 May 2011

Choc Chip Cookie Dough Brownies - Oh My!

DSCF6240

Brownies are pretty much the only baked good that I can make which a) doesn't stress me out, and b) reliably brings on lots of "ooooh" and "aaaah" comments when I serve them. Well, except for the time I thought I'd be clever and use Rolo chocolate and the caramel made the chocolate seize (that's what I'm blaming anyway). They were still edible though, so it wasn't a complete disaster.

So when one of my favourite blogs - the fabulous Bakerella - posted a brownie recipe, I had to try it. But what I really LOVE about this recipe is that it combines two awesome, everyday favourites to make one knock-your-socks-off morsel of chocolate-y goodness. Ommnomnom.

DSCF6222
Dollops of cookie dough

This recipe is a little time consuming because you're really making two separate recipes, but they are really straightforward. The best part is that the butter doesn't need to be left out to soften - in both cases it is melted rather than creamed. When I was making them I did think that the choc chip cookie recipe was a bit overloaded with choc chips, so I only but two thirds in, but they really do need the full amount. And, besides, you can never have too much chocolate.

DSCF6224
Don't forget to push the dough into the batter

I was a little bit worried about this recipe. The brownies I had made before but I'd never made this cookie recipe, and I had no idea whether they would turn out or if they would work with the brownies. Thank goodness I just jumped in there and went ahead because the brownies were deeee-lish-us... super soft and chewy with a nice crunch from the choc chips and crumbly texture from the cookie dough. *sigh* I heart brownies.

DSCF6227
Ready for the ganache

The original brownie recipe I used folds chopped Snickers Bars through the batter at the end, which I have omitted for this recipe, but if you make this recipe on its own you can fold anything through it. My favourite is choc chips, but I've also used Snickers and Mars Bars.

DSCF6229
What to do with leftover cookie dough? Make giant cookies of course! 
I used a normal sized ice-cream scoop and they were ENORMOUS (but oh so good!). 

Choc Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Inspired by Bakerella
Choc-chip cookie recipe by Nigella Lawson from Kitchen
Brownie recipe from Taste.com.au
Makes 15 generous sized brownies


Choc Chip Cookie Dough
150g unsalted butter
125g light brown sugar
100g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, straight from the fridge
1 egg yolk, straight from the fridge
300g flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
326g choc chips (depending on where you live, you may or may not find a bag this size. If not, close enough is good enough I reckon)

Brownies
150g butter, chopped
200g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Nestle Club but I've also used Cadbury Old Gold)
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour

Chocolate ganache
100g dark chocolate
1/3 cup thickened cream

Preheat the oven to 170C and grease and line your pan with baking paper (I use a slice pan: 20 x 30cm and 3cm deep). Make sure there is a decent amount of overhang on the two longest sides (at least 5cm) so you can get the brownie out when it is cooked.

First, make the cookie dough. Melt the butter and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes. Combine the sugars in a bowl, add the cooled butter and beat together.

Add the vanilla, cold egg and egg yolk and beat until light and creamy.

Slowly mix in the flour and bicarb until just combined, then fold in the choc chips. Put the dough in the fridge while you make the brownie mix.

For the brownie mix: melt the butter, chocolate and sugar until smooth. Set aside to cool (about 15 minutes). Whisk in the egg, and then flours in batches.

Pour into prepared pan. Dollop spoonfuls of cookie dough over the top, and then push them into the brownie mixture. I only used about half of the dough - but it will really depend on the size of your pan and how big your dollops are). Cook until a skewer inserted in the brownie mixture comes out with crumbs clinging - approximately 25 minutes, but this will depend on the size of your pan. It is better to slightly undercook it than overcook it.

To make the ganache: Melt the chocolate and cream together (but don't do what I did and overheat the chocolate so it seizes). Pour it over the brownie and smooth the top.

Allow the brownie to cool completely, then remove from the pan and cut into slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...