Wednesday 4 April 2012

Banana Bread (why did I wait so long?)

Banana Bread

I hate bananas. Okay, that's not exactly true, but I really don't like eating bananas. On their own, that is. Put them in a cake, muffin, bread or a smoothie and I am first in line. I don't know how that works, but it just does. My mum, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. Not only will she only eat bananas in their true form, but hers must be slightly green (whereas I want my bananas to be ripe to the point of being black). She's forever giving my her ripe bananas and I make her eat the bananas my son won't eat because they aren't ripe enough once the skin is off.


So I tend to get a little bit excited when our bananas start to turn black. There are many that I have had to save from my husband's attempt to clean up the fruit bowl ("Get your hands of those bananas!!"). Unfortunately, though, lately I have had to resort to putting them into freezer so that I can use them 'later'. But after I noticed some of the bananas getting to the point of having to be used or thrown today I was determined to bake something.

Usually I make banana muffins because they are super super easy, or banana cake when I am not being so lazy since that is what I am familiar with. I've been wanting to make banana bread since forever and always assumed it would be difficult (since I have avoided normal bread for exactly the same reason). But I always order banana bread when out for a coffee and it's ridiculous that I am willing to spend $4 on a slice of something that I should be able to make in my own kitchen. So, I went to taste.com.au, which is always my go to source for new recipes since most of the recipes are rated with comments so I'm more likely to succeed (I don't take failure too well, which is surprising since I suffer from bake-fail ALL the time). I found a recipe with a 5/5 rating from over 400 raters so I thought that that would get me in with a good chance of edible banana bread.

Unfortunately my son ate one of the really ripe bananas, but I still had one left, plus a few that were close. I would have preferred to use all black bananas but I decided to make do with what I had - I really wanted that banana bread!

Banana Bread
One very ripe banana, and two wannabes :)

The verdict? I don't know why I waited so long! It was just like making muffins, except easier because the mix all went into one tin, rather than needing to be divided 12 ways. It wasn't quite as dense as some that I've had at cafes, but it was pretty good - nice banana flavour (which I'm sure will improve next time if I use all black bananas) and I was even able to put my slice in the toaster to toast it (banana bread is always 100x better when the edges are crispy and it's warm and soft in the middle). I'll definitely be making this one again! Actually, I do have some more bananas sitting on my bench. As long as my son doesn't eat them all.... hmmmm. Maybe I should just hide them :)

Banana Bread
Afternoon tea, sorted.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can make it moister next time? I definitely didn't overcook it so I'm thinking I need to fiddle with the ingredients?


(Surprisingly easy) Banana Bread
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au
Serves 10

Melted margarine, to grease
256g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
110g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
125mL (1/2 cup) milk (the recipe recommended skim, but I used full cream)
2 eggs, lightly whisked
50g butter, melted, cooled
3 overripe medium bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 180C. Brush an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with the margarine. Line the base with baking paper.

Sift the flours and cinnamon together. Stir in the brown sugar with a whisk (this will break up the lumps in the sugar). Make a well in the centre. Combine the milk, eggs, melted butter and banana in a medium bowl, and stir to combine. Add it to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon/pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the sides of the bread and turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Cut into slices to serve. Slices can be toasted and then slathered in butter (in my opinion, this is the only way to eat banana bread).

According to the original recipe, the banana bread can be stored in an airtight container (out of direct sunlight) for up to 3 days. If you don't think you will eat it all in that time, just slice what you won't eat, wrap in cling wrap and put them in the freezer for up to one month. Instant afternoon tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...